Sunday 17 October 2010

Blackpool Rock(s)


It's been a very busy seven days. A combination of a very busy schedule, travelling and some late nights thrown in, left me feeling pretty tired this weekend. As a result, I fancied a flat and easy 40 miles today, rather than the scheduled North Cheshire Clarion club run, which was a hilly route.

Question was, where to go? Needing a bit of time for reflection, I decided to have a run up the coast. I loaded the bike on the roof of the car, drove up to Lytham St. Annes and rode the coastal route up to Fleetwood and back. The route takes you right through Blackpool promenade in parallel to the sea. It was just what the doctor ordered, bit of sea air and great views over the Irish sea plus plenty of time to clear my thoughts down. Weather was a little cold and overcast.

Setting off I had a decent tailwind and shot up to Fleetwood pretty quickly. Spinning round, that tailwind became a headwind and I opted to just knock into an easier gear and have an easy run back. Spent quite a bit of time dodging pedestrians, which did knock the average speed down at points, however, no drama, I went there to enjoy the view and that I did.

Bike was pretty gritty when I got back. There was quite a bit of sand about and The Unicorn needed a good clean, the babywipes soon sorted it all out and it's back its dazzling white best and in it's air conditioned cabinet back at home :-)

Overall it was just short of 40 miles for the roundtrip, almost pan flat all the way but a nice change. Here's a photo I took en route.

No comments:

Post a Comment