Sunday 7 February 2010

Tripletastic...


I did the triple today. Three punctures whilst out on the North Cheshire Clarion club ride, quite incredible, all within about an hour of each other. No one else got any, I was just having one of those days and copped for a load of ribbing and banter from the other riders claiming I just wanted multiple breaks (think this might be a longstanding club record in the making too). Let me unreservedly apologise to all the partners of the club members who got back a little later than expected, it was down to me and you're welcome to post your complaints in the comments box!

It was a great route today, you can view it here, pretty flat really compared to this ride we did a couple of weeks ago. We decided we'd do a little longer than usual to get a few more miles in the legs, with my ride there and back I did around 64 miles (102km) in total. I felt good on the bike today and put more thought into my nutrition. Prior to going I had porridge plus a banana, with some blueberries, washed down with a bottle of Gatorade. After the first hour I popped a gel, thirty minutes after that a flapjack (whilst Paul inspected my tyre on puncture number two, what a top chap), with regular gulps of PSP22 from Science in Sport. At our cafe break I had a Go bar and a cornflake chocolate cake (as a treat). I made up another half litre of drink with some of the product I got from Zipvit (which didn't taste as good as the PSP22). As you can see, I was eating pretty regularly in order to keep my carbohydrate levels topped up. As a result, I felt good all ride today and didn't feel tired, so I'll be continuing to test, learn and refine ready for the Cheshire Cat.

As for ride stats, I don't really have any today. With getting so many punctures, I managed to mount my wheel and forget about lining the magnet for my speedo up, so lost all the distance. My Garmin was mucking around too, so I managed to press a wrong button whilst I was fiddling with it en route and clear all the stored ride data. As you can see, it wasn't the best of day for bike technology! So, summary is ride distance of 62 miles today.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the punctures Phil. I went through a bad run of punctures until I got a pair of continental tubes and Continental Gatorskin tyres - not one single problem all year and hold tyre pressure well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, time for some new tyres.

    That will be all those miles you've put in on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phil,

    I just found your blog for the first time. I came looking for you after I saw that you started following me on Twitter. Thanks for that, by the way. I didn't realize the climate was conducive to road biking at this time of year in the UK....so you've taught me something already.
    I'll be sure to keep you on my radar and check in often. Like you, I love my road bike....and cycling in general.

    Take care and keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete