Sunday 28 April 2013

April 2013 Mileage

April has been about increasing the amount of ascent per mile in my rides.  If you take a look at the pink line in the below which measures ascent per mile, you can see it has climbed to 44 for April (up 13%). 

Although my mileage was down a little on March, the amount of climbing I've done in relation to those miles has increased.  Having worked on base miles mostly for January and February, I'm now ensuring my Saturday ride has an ascent per mile of at least 40 or more, followed by a Sunday ride with a flatter profile.  

What's interesting to see is that I'm now maintaining my average ride speed over hillier profiles, which means the cardio base is doing it's job.  You can see the detail behind the individual rides here.


Comparing Ride Distance with Ascent

Conditions during April have been unpredictable as usual.  Strong winds have been a big feature on the back half of the month and this has made the going tough, with a higher heart rate needed to push through the gusts. It can be quite debilitating when you're out there on your own, heading home into a strong headwind, I think they call it character building!

If I take the last 30 days (which brings in another weekend), my consolidated distance is 428 miles (685km), it's been great to get a string of weekends together. My target for April was 320 miles, similar for May is the plan.

I missed my final opportunity to add another ride onto the April mileage today due to a late night.  Having got up late, feeling a little worse for wear, I looked out the window and could see the trees blowing in the wind.  Checking the met office, another day of 11mph headwind and 25mph gusts lay ahead.  Having battled through that yesterday, sensible choice today was to leave the bike today and re-group for next weekend.

Summary for April is, hillier profiles, average speed is continuing to improve and heart rate is stable.  All going the right way.

Month  to Date
Mileage- 338 miles
Ride Time - 20hrs 55mins
Climbing - 14,703ft
Avg. Speed - 15.7 mph
Avg. HR - 144bpm

Calories (estimate) -11,639
Ride Ascent Ratio (Ascent/Miles) -44 (Medium/Undulating)

Year to Date
Mileage- 1,249miles
Ride Time - 80hrs 46mins
Climbing - 42,160ft
Avg. Speed - 15.4 mph
Avg. HR - 144bpm

Calories (estimate) -48,579
Ride Ascent Ratio (Ascent/Miles) - 33.8 (Easy/Flat)

No comments:

Post a Comment