Sunday 16 January 2011

Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Saddle Review

I've tried a few saddles in my time, one of my recent acquisitions at the Manchester Bike Jumble was this Selle Italia Max Flite Gel saddle which I've fitted to my Specialized Secteur Sport.

I run a Selle Italia SLR Gel flow saddle on my Dolan Ares, which is pretty comfortable. Like the Max Flite it has a centre cut-out to relieve pressure on the perinium when you ride.

The key difference between the two saddles is that the Max Flite is more generous in padding and offers more all round support when you're in the saddle. It's also more generous in shape at the rear. The SLR is more of a peformance saddle, an out and out racer, with more emphasis on style and weight.

Knocking out 60 miles on the bike today, I found the saddle to be very comfortable and superior to the Bontrager and Specialized saddles I've owned previously. It's not cheap to buy new, around £80, however given that it's the key contact point between yourself and the bike, it's well worth considering investing in to ensure on-going ride comfort.

2 comments:

  1. Totally agree, I've had various saddles over the last couple of years but with the shape of my rear the Flite gel flow beats all easily...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahem - and guess where I saw it? On a certain club members bike, could well be yours :-)

    ReplyDelete