Saturday 31 August 2013

August 2013 Mileage




A slightly better month mileage wise than I'd planned.  August saw us take our annual holiday, so two weekends off the bike.  In my head, thought I'd only manage a couple of hundred miles (two weekends), but managed to squeeze a long ride in the day after we arrived home which boosted the overall total up to 360 miles.

Average speed was - 17.6mph (28km/h), which is a dip on the previous month.  Two reasons, putting the weight back on that I'd lost coupled with a slightly higher ascent ratio per mile vs. the previous month.  So, nothing to worry too much to worry about.  Back to the diet!

Year to date mileage is now 3,022 miles which puts me ahead of where I thought I'd be at this point in the year, annual target being 4,000 miles.  Tomorrow I'll be cycling the Manchester 100 sportive, so that should give me a good start to September.


Ride ascent ratio (pink line) increased slightly, miles were relatively flat compared to the blocks that I put in during May and June.  Two reasons for that, firstly with a couple of weeks off the bike your fitness can quickly deteriorate so I didn't want to go too hard.  Secondly, I've been having a little discomfort with my hamstrings feeling tight post-ride, so I've been taking things a little easier whilst I get checked out.  Heart rate average for the month was 149bpm vs. my maximum of 186bpm (80% of max).  

Ride Ascent Ratio- www.race-pace.net (@roadphil)

Looking back to the start of the year, you can see the relationship between the amount of miles you do, the intensity of those miles and your average speed by looking at these two charts.  Starting steadily, building the base mileage, then dialling up the intensity of the miles has worked for me according to this data.  It all starts with the base fitness, long rides at lower intensities to give you engine to start tuning up when ready.



Summary for August is, higher expected miles vs. plan, clicking over 3,000 miles for the year and average speed still in good shape.

Month  to Date

Mileage- 360 miles
Ride Time - 20hrs 23mins
Climbing - 12,216ft
Avg. Speed - 17.6mph
Avg. HR - 149bpm
Calories (estimate) -10,529
Ride Ascent Ratio (Ascent/Miles) -34 (Flat)

Year to Date

Mileage- 3,027 miles
Ride Time - 186hrs 29mins
Climbing - 112,688ft
Avg. Speed - 16.2 mph
Avg. HR - 145bpm
Calories (estimate) -108,065
Ride Ascent Ratio (Ascent/Miles) - 37.7 (Flat/Undulating)

No comments:

Post a Comment