Sunday 30 June 2013

June 2013 Mileage



A record month for personal mileage since I started cycling back in August 2009 - 625 miles.  This month saw me complete the London to Paris ride of 300 miles, so combined with the other rides, that's been the key reason for the boost.

Pretty much all my training has been geared towards participating in this event, hitting the start line with the right level of fitness.  Thinking back to how tough January was, getting on the bike and getting to the end of the month with a ride average of 14.6mph, things looked pretty bleak and it has taken some structure to get to this point.  It was re-build time.

Today, I returned from a 40 mile loop and hit my highest average speed for a ride of 18.6mph, despite some very windy conditions.  A clear leading indicator that a good month of intensive miles just gives you a great base to build on.  So where from here?  I reflected after London to Paris on three things: -

1.  Spend more time with some stronger riders.  Now I have a base fitness, it would be good to try and build on that with some faster rides with stronger riders.
2.  Lose some weight and work on conditioning (core + strength).
3.  Do some pilates to assist with (2) and general flexibility.

Year to date is now 2,340 miles which is slightly ahead of where I'd planned to be for the mid-year point.  I'll have to book a couple of sportives in the diary to give some further incentive for training to keep goal focused.  My current goal is around 4,000 miles for the year.

Ride ascent ratio (pink line) increased to the highest level for the year so far, which means the miles have had more ascent per mile than at any other time this year.  This is what I'd been building up to since around April, ensuring that my rides continued to offer a good balance of harder rides on a Saturday with a flatter recovery ride on a Sunday.

Summary for June is, good miles, harder miles, heart rate stable and a great base for me to build on from here.

2013 Mileage Log vs. Ride Ascent Ratio
Month  to Date

Mileage- 625 miles
Ride Time - 39hrs 37mins
Climbing - 30,368ft
Avg. Speed - 15.8 mph
Avg. HR - 142bpm
Calories (estimate) -21,537
Ride Ascent Ratio (Ascent/Miles) - 49 (Medium/Undulating)

Year to Date

Mileage- 2,340 miles
Ride Time - 148hrs 23mins
Climbing - 90,415ft
Avg. Speed - 15.7 mph
Avg. HR - 144bpm
Calories (estimate) -87,398
Ride Ascent Ratio (Ascent/Miles) - 39 (Flat/Undulating)

No comments:

Post a Comment