Wednesday 27 March 2013

Great Photo - Wrynose Pass

I posted this picture on Twitter at the weekend of the inconic Wrynose Pass in the Lake District, which is one of the steepest roads in England, with gradients up to 1 in 3.  The pass reaches an altitude of 393m or 1,281 feet and is an absolute leg breaker. 

Wrynose Pass - Picture courtesy of cyclesportphotos.com
I rode up it on the infamous Fred Whitton sportive a couple of years back (still the hardest single day I've ever had in the saddle).  The killer about this climb is that the road continues over to Hardknott Pass and goes on to Eskdale. Hardknott is about the same height in terms of climb and difficulty, so you need to be on top form to get over them both.
 
I've written a related article previously which might be of interest.  It's about being in the right state of mind when you're climbing, which you can read here.  Wish I'd of known that before I took these climbs on early in my cycling journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment