Sunday 1 January 2012

Welcome to 2012


Reset your mileage clocks everyone, we're starting again.  It's day one of a new year when you can set some new objectives for this year around your bike. Happy New Year!

For lots of people, the key objectives are based upon achieving a certain mileage, me included.  This year however, I'm having a good think about those miles.  Just riding brings it's advantages of course, it keeps your heart fit, helps with the weight and gets you out in the fresh air.

If you want to achieve something more specific, like a power increase, getting better at hill climbing, building a specific aerobic base, completing your first time trial or riding your first century, then it will do you a whole lot of good if you think about what your absolute objective is then plan the type of miles you intend to do around that.  That is, train for what you want to achieve.

To be a better hill climber for example, you'd do well to lose some weight and get your power to weight ratio lower, so a good place to start would be some low heart rate zone rides to burn fat, then to build on your aerobic base and your strength.

I'm not a cycling coach, so please consult one if you have specific goals, my underlying point is that you would do well to get some advice and tailor your training plan accordingly.  Having a quick think about what I'd like to do on the bike this year.
  1. I am keen to surpass 4,000 miles, with more emphasis on hillier miles (according to my Garmin log, my ascent was 149K in 2011.  End of year exit at 165K+ would be good - plus 10%).
  2. I am keen for my power to weight ratio to be 10% higher than current (so I either need to lose weight or increase power, or both).  Current PWR is 3.35, target 3.70.
  3. I'd like to go under 27 minutes for a 10M time trial by the end of the season (I've never done one, so this is a bit of a stab in the dark in terms of a time).
What are your plans?  Feel free to leave a comment and share with the other readers.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with 2012 Phil! I will be interested to see the results of your low heart rate zone rides compared to someone who didn't do that. I'm yet to be convinced and would welcome the data.

    Will look forward to hearing about your time trialing, I got involved last year for the first time and "loved" every minute. Depending on the course I think 27 minutes is a good target, although the holy grail of 25 won't be too far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy reading your blog Phil. Having only started road cycling last year, I'm still learning loads and blogs like yours really help. I too like to blog a bit, and I've just written about my first experience taking part in a time trial. http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/01/new-years-day-time-trial-with-rhyl-cycling-club/

    ReplyDelete