Saturday 27 November 2010

New Fixed Wheel Bike


"Satzoomer." That's the name I've christened my latest addition to my bike collection (due to its bright orange satsuma like colour).

It's an Onza Uno.  Having a natter with Graeme Obree when up was up in Scotland the other week, he extolled the virtues of owning a fixed wheel bike for training and bike control. Graeme is an absolute legend when it comes to cycling, so I took it all in and thought that I would be one step further to being a world champion if I owned one (not). So, with that fresh in my mind and always liking a bargain I spotted this and took the plunge. I'm glad I did as it turns out it was the last one.

I'm going to get some Keo pedals put on it for starters, will probably remove the back brake and tweak a couple of the bits on it. It's got a nice little barber shop pole feature in the head tube, which is quirky and the Araya rims remind me of my BMX back in the 80's. For now, I've stuck it on the turbo trainer as I'm doing low intensity training, it seems happy enough, for now.

1 comment:

  1. I used to LOVE my fixie, It did however take me months to get passed the stage where it wasn't trying to kill me on a regular basis and I was comfortable riding it in a group.

    My biggest tip is to forget all about a high top speed and and start off with a very low gear to begin with. A lower gear is MUCH easier to control.

    ReplyDelete